Friday, August 18, 2006

Once a week, G-d throws a party.. and you're invited.....

People always ask me if i don’t feel cheated that i keep shabbat every week..
if I don’t get bored sitting at home..
if I don’t feel stifled..

shabbat?? boring?? stifling?? I wouldn’t survive without it...

It’s one of the greatest gifts I have in my life.
One of the few sureties in my life.
No matter how my week goes, no matter how difficult it gets, no matter how long it seems, no matter how exhausting.. shabbat comes at the end and all those mundane insecurities, just fade away.
TGIF
The minute I light those Shabbat candles, I leave behind the illusion and step into reality.

I feel my heart, my mind and my soul get released from the shackles of routine and pettiness.
I feel the connection to my history, to my people and most importantly to my creator.

Our everyday lives revolve around our sustenance, around working, making a living, supporting ourselves and our families, running around that interminable ratrace , but we all know deep down inside that this cant possibly be the purpose of our existence. There has to be more.
On Shabbat we step back from that constant pursuit for physical sustenance and we reframe and refocus on the real meaning, on our spiritual sustenance. We take a step back and
re-evaluate life, where its going, where we want it to go, who we want to be.

On Shabbat we aren’t allowed to do any melacha – that’s often translated as “work”, but in fact 'work' is ‘avoda’ in Hebrew.
melacha comes from the root of ‘melech’, a king, whereas avoda comes from the root of ‘eved’, a slave.
Those activities which require our creative abilities, our planning, and domination are activities which demonstrate our ability to control our surroundings, to dominate nature - that's what we give up on Shabbat.

All week long we live under the impression that we are masters of our lives, under the impression that we are ruling the system, that we are in control.
On Shabbat, we remember that our supremacy over nature is purely an illusion,. We step back, and we hand the throne back to G-d. We give up the impression that our apparent dominance over nature is our greatest asset and we return to the purity of being a creation of G-d. We stop creating and we start being.
We sit back an enjoy the fruits of G-ds generosity, we enjoy our families, and friends, we take the time to think, to meditate, to enjoy the delicacies; we refocus and rejewvinate!

I’m sure that anyone who has lived through a beautiful Shabbat will agree with me, and I can guarantee that anyone who has never experienced it will not understand.

It’s a multisensory experience that needs to be lived. No words can do it justice.

I wish you all
a beautiful, peaceful and rejewvinating shabbos koidesh!

14 Comments:

At Friday, August 18, 2006 12:56:00 PM, Blogger socialworker/frustrated mom said...

That was a beautiful way of describing the serenity of shabbos, thanks. Have a good shabbos.

 
At Friday, August 18, 2006 1:07:00 PM, Blogger David_on_the_Lake said...

Now That looks like a fun meal
:-)

What a perfect expression of what Shabbos is all about.
I feel the same exact emotions..its incredible..like another dimension..

 
At Friday, August 18, 2006 3:00:00 PM, Blogger Marion McCready said...

Nice post, sometimes my gentile adopted Sunday shabbat seems to end up being so busy with churchy stuff that I feel I'm missing the point, being too busy in the kingdom to have time for the king. Thanks for the reminder even though you didn't write this for the goyim :)

 
At Friday, August 18, 2006 3:24:00 PM, Blogger Dovid said...

That's an awesome post (although I can hardly say my shabbos looks anything like the shabbos portrayed in that video).

Good Shabbos.

 
At Friday, August 18, 2006 3:46:00 PM, Blogger smb said...

Wow, beautifully expressed

 
At Friday, August 18, 2006 6:47:00 PM, Blogger Lady-Light said...

Thanks - have seen this video before, it's fun! I so look forward to Shabbat, it's my escape from this world ( "מעין עולם הבא" ).
Shabbat Shalom!

 
At Saturday, August 19, 2006 9:20:00 AM, Blogger Sarah Likes Green said...

beautiful post.
totally agree.
love Shabbos. i feel sorry for those that don't get to keep it :)

shavua tov and we look forward to next shabbos already!!

 
At Sunday, August 20, 2006 5:27:00 AM, Blogger Nemo said...

Shabbos pleasure is totally relative to the hard week in between Shabbasos.

 
At Sunday, August 20, 2006 2:36:00 PM, Blogger Pragmatician said...

How well you describe somehthng so intangible.
I know I live towards Shabebs week to week.

 
At Monday, August 21, 2006 6:55:00 PM, Blogger Pimplesoflife said...

wow really nice...

 
At Monday, August 21, 2006 7:30:00 PM, Blogger chaverah said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At Monday, August 21, 2006 7:31:00 PM, Blogger chaverah said...

prag - shabebs? what a typo! anyway, I feel bad for the goyim b/c they dont have shabbos. we are forced to relax and its great!

 
At Tuesday, August 22, 2006 10:43:00 AM, Blogger Scraps said...

Ahhhh...Shabbos. I don't think I could live without it.

 
At Saturday, August 26, 2006 11:13:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

sarah rather then felling bad for those that are not shomer shabbat, bring them to your shabbat table. they need it as much as you do.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who links to me?