Tuesday, July 25, 2006

randomness on the cape

I just came back from a weekend trip and although I have nothing too exciting to report, I thought I would share a bunch of random events that happened.

Since I’m starting a new job soon and they only want to pay me AFTER I start working (the nerve!) I decided that I would skip going on a big trip this summer and instead take a long weekend road trip down to Cape Cod.

I don’t know how popular it is as a tourist destination among the crowd who reads this blog, but it was absolutely beautiful. It’s a very quaint and charming beach town, not Florida gaudy or Atlantic-city touristy at all, the beach is relatively quiet and the people are SO friendly (I’ve never had so many strangers smile and say hello to me in the street!) All across town there are lobster/crab/chowder eateries, pubs and mini putt golf courses and the landscape is filled with lighthouses, fishing boats and small cape cod style wooden houses. It’s really serene and natural.

There was, however, one problem and that was the weather. We were expecting a good 3-4 days of beautiful beach weather and instead we ended up spending our time hiding from, or anticipating, a tropical storm which was happening not too far off the coast.

We were hoping for this…












Instead we got … this…



Gray cloudy skies and rain throughout the day is not my idea of a beach style summer vacation. Its one thing to have 3 days of rain when you’re on a 2 week vacation, but its much more unpleasant on a 4 day vacation!


One of the random things that happened was that on one of those rainy afternoons, I ended up going to the nearby mall (when in bad weather, shop!). For those of you who know Cape cod, I’m sure you’ll agree that it feels like the most un-Jewish place. I found more Jews in Asia than I did out in Hyannis. Well if there’s one thing anyone who likes traveling knows its that, there isn’t a place on earth where you don’t find coca cola, chabad and Israelis! The first two, I found right away, but I was really starting to believe that Israelis had not yet set foot out on the Cape. You can imagine my surprise when I was walking in the mall and passed one of those little stands that sells hand cream and a beautiful, fresh off_the_boat Israeli girl approached me to sell me some of her products. Of course I had no interest in that but I right away started speaking to her in Hebrew and we got into a whole conversation about what she was doing, where she was from and where she was headed. I gave her my contact information and told her to be in touch if she was ever in my area. The coolest thing was that this adorable tattooed Israeli traveler, making money selling hand creams so she could go traveling to south america as she has just completed her army service, asked me (after noticing my long skirt) whether it was better to light her Shabbat candles – before 9 am - before she went to work – or after 10 pm when she got home on Friday night. (I guessed and told her 9 am sounded safer!) Anyway it was really fun to meet her and get a little taste of Israel, especially during this time when I feel so homesick for Israel.

The next random thing was this shop I came across in the mall – it was called the Gourmet Dog Bakery. That’s right DOG BAKERY! They had all kinds of delicious looking treats.. for dogs!
They had a dog birthday cake in the shape of a bone for $19.99, they had dog truffles and dog cookies, they had birthday party supplies for dogs and fashion accessories for dogs!
FOR DOGS!!
At first I thought it was really funny.. but then I realized how sad and pathetic it was..I mean, my family has a beautiful dog and I love her.. but people- seriously- need- to- get- a- grip!




Finally a series of random wedding related things happened.
First my sister found a dress she needed in a bridal store (who even walks into one of those cheesy overpriced stores?!).
Then a newlywed couple registered into our hotel. The bride walked in with her wedding dress still on, and their car had a sign that said, “just married”… how romantic! (who goes to a motor lodge for their honeymoon?!).
Then on Saturday night we took a walk on the marina and we saw a guy propose to his girlfriend. We weren’t close enough to hear them but it was clear from the way she jumped up and kept looking at her finger and squealing in delight.
And finally on the last day, as we were driving home, we stopped at a rest area on the road and I saw two bunny rabbits run out of a bush and into the forest – now if that’s not a sign, I don’t know what it is..
Apparently.. love.. is.. in.. the.. air..




So that was my exciting weekend on the tropical storm hit beaches of Cape Cod. I had a really nice and relaxing time, but the next time I go on a trip, I’ll make sure to check the weather channel before I head out - and to have all that wedding randomness revolve around me !!

16 Comments:

At Tuesday, July 25, 2006 11:39:00 AM, Blogger socialworker/frustrated mom said...

Wow what an awesome filled trip. Love the pics of the outdoors.

 
At Tuesday, July 25, 2006 11:40:00 AM, Blogger socialworker/frustrated mom said...

Hey you got a tag you better be preparing your meme.

 
At Tuesday, July 25, 2006 3:50:00 PM, Blogger Marion McCready said...

shame about the weather, you're right about Israeli's - my husband and I met 2 Israeli young men while traveling in the middle of nowhere in central Turkey - my husband taught them a trad. Scottish song which goes: "Campbeltown loch ah wish ye were whiskey! Campbeltown lock och aye" - it was funny hearing them sing it, also there are 2 Israeli's now living in my small town on west coast of Scotland!
The only time I've heard of Cape Cod is that Sylvia Plath apparently wrote her poem 'Mussel Hunter at Rock Harbor' while on vacation there - it looks nice.

 
At Tuesday, July 25, 2006 6:35:00 PM, Blogger chaverah said...

oy! i hate when you go on a getaway and it ends up raining! ecpecially when you are planning to go to the beach! oh well. its nice to get away regardless. I hope at leat when you got home you felt like you had a few days away from reality. And thats what its all about.

 
At Tuesday, July 25, 2006 8:14:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes indeed.

 
At Tuesday, July 25, 2006 9:06:00 PM, Blogger David_on_the_Lake said...

memories...are born of random moments.
I love ur little travelogue...it sounded like a fun time..regardless of the weather..
To me ..vacation is about change of pace..
exploring...a new place..a sense of place..

 
At Tuesday, July 25, 2006 9:31:00 PM, Blogger anonym00kie said...

socialworker/frustrated mom:
ya it was fun in the end :) and dont worry about the meme.. ill get to it :)

limey2001:
first suri the hollywood baby and now beryl the tropical storm..

maybe it was another random marriage sign..
-single beryls: apply within-

sorlil:
i love finding israelis around the world, its impossible to miss them and theyre alwasy so fun to hang out with!

chaverah:
ya it really was bad luck.. but the truth is in the end we had a nice time..
and weirdly enough i even got a bit of a sunburn on my nose from the 3 hours i actually made it to the beach!

ying:
what are we agreeing to?

david_on_the_lake:
now youre being poetic on my blog too? :) youre right tho, random events make the best memories! they just stick in your mind. the interesting thing is that i probably wouldnt have noticed those things if i hasdnt been on vacation, but being in a different place, different frame of mind.. my mind was more perceptive in its observations!

 
At Tuesday, July 25, 2006 9:54:00 PM, Blogger socialworker/frustrated mom said...

Yay, can't wait to see it!

 
At Tuesday, July 25, 2006 11:30:00 PM, Blogger smb said...

Sounds like it was very fun. Thanks for sharing the experience.

 
At Wednesday, July 26, 2006 4:42:00 AM, Blogger the only way i know said...

Awwww - that was a wonderfully refreshing post!

 
At Wednesday, July 26, 2006 5:22:00 AM, Blogger Pragmatician said...

cute post, I've always said that vacations don't have to be faraway and expensive to be enjoyable.

Now witht the dog stuff, crazy just plain nuts:)

 
At Wednesday, July 26, 2006 10:03:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

'tis the season to be merry...

 
At Wednesday, July 26, 2006 10:17:00 AM, Blogger ggggg said...

Sorry about the weather!!! What gall that they won't pay you before you start working!

 
At Thursday, July 27, 2006 1:26:00 AM, Blogger Jim said...

Don't mind me, but I just want to say thanks for the stormy beach scene with trees blowing in wind and water moving, I used it for desktop bkgrnd. Looks great and reminds me of home. Thanks.

By the way, great articles, you're good.

 
At Thursday, July 27, 2006 2:15:00 AM, Blogger anonym00kie said...

socialworker/frustrated mom :
almost done.. enjoy :)

lvnsm27:
thanks for reading!

the only way i know:
I cant seem to do short and sweet so I might as well aim for light and refreshing once in a while!

pragmatician:
I came across a dog blog tonight.. is there no end to this madness?!

ying:
spread the joy..

lakewood venter:
don’t worry.. ill make them pay!

jim:
the tropical storm reminds you of home? Wheres home?? Either way, glad you enjoyed and thanks for the compliments!

 
At Thursday, July 27, 2006 10:37:00 PM, Blogger Nemo said...

Whenever I visit my Mom in Ohio, I go to the mall where they've got a few of these random Israeli hand cream and chinky-toy kiosks. Let me tell you that the only thing more Goyish than New England is the Midwest.

Anyway, instead of approaching the Israelis directly, I make a point of walking indiscreetly by them, making them double take the Kippah, beard and Tzitzis.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who links to me?