Tuesday, July 18, 2006

war


















I don’t want war in Israel. I know this sounds like an obvious statement but I feel that in some way it sounds a little radical. Everywhere I turn I hear calls for the destruction of our enemies. I hear about wiping them off the map. I hear that this is finally Israel’s chance to do what needs to be done. I hear battle cries from all sides.
Unfortunately I hear them from the enemy too, and it really scares me.

Of course Israel has a right to defend itself, of course the force used is not disproportional considering the enemy and what’s at stake. Of course I support Israel 100%.....
but I don’t want a war.

I know many are praying for long lasting peace and for a quick and painless resolution to this conflict.. but I have a feeling many have forgotten that this is the end goal we should all be directing our efforts to.

The situation in Israel tears me up inside. I cringe every time I open a news site to see what’s happened, but I would rather spend my energy praying for peace than gloating over the hopeful and anticipated destruction of Israel's enemies. Maybe im wrong, but I don’t CARE about any enemies being destroyed, I just want them to let Israel live in peace! I get no satisfaction from knowing that Arab civilians were killed.

Praying for the destruction of our ennemies and hoping for their annihilation seems to me like praying for the symptoms to go away instead of the illness to be cured.

I want to pray for peace and for a quick and safe resolution to this mess. I don’t wish for a massacre, I don’t wish to prove Israeli might over its enemies. I don’t want Palestinians or Lebanese or arabs to die or suffer. I am not happy and wishing for the death of civilians and the destruction of civilian infrastructures.

But - most of all - I dont want war for the sake of Israel, Israelis and Jews everywhere. I worry about the effect a war has/will have on Israel. Don’t get me wrong, as much as the wasteful death of “the others” pains me, it is at the bottom of my list of worries. What REALLY worries me are the Israeli casualties – physical and mental.

We can forgive you for killing our sons. But we will never forgive you
for making us kill yours.
- Golda Meir, to Anwar Saddat just before the
peace talks.
Soldiers who need to fight and kill turn into barbarians because often it’s the only way for them to cope. Cognitive dissonance dictates that they shed their human traits even when they are out of battle so that they can continue to do what is necessary when they are in battle. This is not something I wish upon my brothers.

in 1948 there were 6,373 Israeli casualties
in the 6 day war there were 779 killed, 2,563 wounded and 15 prisoners
in the Yom Kipur war there were 2,656 killed and 7,250 wounded
in the Lebanon war there were 675 killed
and since September 2000 there was been 1,119 people killed in terrorist attacks.

Those aren’t just numbers, each and everyone one of those is someone’s son, father, wife, sister.. jobs lost, post traumatic stress, shortage of necessities, alcoholism, anxiety, fear, orphans and widows.. all those are natural consequences of war – and this is what we wish for?? War is not handsome soldiers, shiny fighter jets, flags waving... it's pain and suffering and destruction.

I know everyone wants peace in the end. No one wants to live in a perpetual state of conflict, but it makes me sick when I hear the blood thirsty calls for the destruction of our enemies. I want to make it clear that I am in no way criticizing Israel and its actions, I fully support Israel and I have faith in its leaders. What I am having an especially hard time with is the enthusiasm displayed by those living in their American (or european..) comfort, foaming at the mouth, and calling for war and destruction. If we believe in G-d then let Him find a way to get rid of our enemies, let Him find a way to bring us peace – our only participation in this should be meriting peace and security through out exemplary deeds and our prayers.
We don't thrive on military acts. We do them because we have to, and thank God we are efficient. - Golda Meir
This world, including the politicians, the national borders, the fighter jets.. are all illusion. The ONLY thing that matters at the end of the day is the way we behave spiritually. Our fate is based on that. When the lives of our brothers and sisters are lost, when pieces of the land are given away, when Israel suffers, it is a direct result of the lacks in our efforts – spiritual efforts. G-d gives us what we deserve and at this point, I don’t feel we have very much to be proud of.

I don’t want to worry about the enemy, I want to worry about myself and my behavior and my avodat hashem, and that in the end will bring peace in a faster and more painless way than wishing for the destruction of my enemies.
It is true we have won all our wars, but we have paid for them. We don't want victories anymore. - Golda Meir


26 Comments:

At Tuesday, July 18, 2006 9:40:00 AM, Blogger socialworker/frustrated mom said...

Even if there has to be war of course we still don't want a war. Normal feeling!

 
At Tuesday, July 18, 2006 10:16:00 AM, Blogger David_on_the_Lake said...

Well said...
I can;t stand all the gung ho attitudes found on some blogs..
I think if people would've been prahying for peace all these years insted of victories then perhaps God wouldve obliged...
People seem to believe God is only capable of providing miracles thru war...and not thru peace.

 
At Tuesday, July 18, 2006 11:03:00 AM, Blogger chaverah said...

i havent read through your post yet, but your pictures are extremely powerful!

 
At Tuesday, July 18, 2006 11:12:00 AM, Blogger kasamba said...

Chaverah's right! The photos are so powerful but what you said went straight to my heart.

B"EH may it all be over soon!

 
At Tuesday, July 18, 2006 11:50:00 AM, Blogger FrumSingleGuy said...

Nothing more to add...your thoughts are penetrating, your choice of pictures and quotes make my bones tingle. I couldn't have said it better myself.

 
At Tuesday, July 18, 2006 3:28:00 PM, Blogger ggggg said...

Nobody WANTS war! But sometimes it is the ONLY option!!! May God bless the Israeli army!!!!

 
At Tuesday, July 18, 2006 3:46:00 PM, Blogger the only way i know said...

Mookie -
thank you so much - I think posts now should be about eretz yisrael, about avodat hashem, about belief,..basically about points you brought up.
you expressed yourself beautifully.

 
At Tuesday, July 18, 2006 5:15:00 PM, Blogger smb said...

Mookie, excellent points. I'm with you on that and pray for His protection and for shalom.

And about the spiritual effort, I agree. Prayer, increased avodah/mitzvos and emunah will be what finally brings shalom.

 
At Tuesday, July 18, 2006 5:22:00 PM, Blogger FrumGirl said...

I see others beat me to it... yeah, Mookie you basicly put out quite remarkably what we are all feeling except maybe, just maybe, I DO want those fanatics to cease to exist. Hence the saying... yimach shimam....

 
At Tuesday, July 18, 2006 6:57:00 PM, Blogger Dovid said...

I have nothing to add to the discussion here, but can you please explain the last picture? I don't understand it....

 
At Tuesday, July 18, 2006 11:16:00 PM, Blogger Jessica said...

beautifully expressed, beautiful ideas. thank you, and let me just add that i hope we never digress from the level of emunah, davening, study and love for israel that we have been motivated to climb to right now, in an attempt to merit peace.

 
At Tuesday, July 18, 2006 11:55:00 PM, Blogger anonym00kie said...

socialworker/frustrated mom:
if it’s normal than unfortunately the world is filled with abnormal people…

david_on_the_Lake :
david I totally agree, I think people are just reacting to fear, but a jew cant live that way, if we have bitachon, we have to pray that G-d will find another way to bring peace..

chaverah:
thanks..
did you get to read it eventually? :)

kasamba:
amen!

frumsingleguy:
thanks, lets just hope it inspires us to focus on the right things..

lakewood venter:
even if it is the only option, it’s a tragedy. sometimes the only option is an amputation but no one foams at the mouth from the excitement of losing a limb just because it will save their life..

the only way i know:
thank towik, youre always so full of nice things to say :)

lvnsm27:
yup, we have no choice.. this is a wake up call for us.. not for anyone else..

frumgirl:
I hear that .. I just get afraid when wanting the fanatics to cease existing extends to everyone else who isnt us.

dovid:
you have nothing to add because you agree or because you disagree?
the last picture is of a settler crying and imploring hashem to help. I picked that picture because I felt it expressed how I think we should all be feeling at the current situation. The passion it expresses makes me want cry, I want to be able to pray and cry like he is doing.. I want hashem to hear us as much as he seems to want it..

jessica:
youre right, whats the point of a wake up call if we all just press the snooze button once the crisis is over.. lets hope we can keep the fire burning so we don’t need any more of these wake-ups.

 
At Wednesday, July 19, 2006 4:06:00 AM, Blogger the sabra said...

hmm i hear what you saying but i kinda do wish they would all die a terrible painful death-if that would ease the pain and anger, even a teeny bit, of the people who suffered from their warped minds and deeds.

 
At Wednesday, July 19, 2006 5:17:00 AM, Blogger Pragmatician said...

you're so right, why is war required to achieve peace, can't we just jumped to stage 2?

 
At Wednesday, July 19, 2006 8:24:00 AM, Blogger anonym00kie said...

the sabra:
you tell me you want nasrallah, ahmadinejad and those kinds of monsters to die.. i hear it fully - although a bullet to the head seems enough for me.. but to extend that to "all" - im just not sure waht that means.. personally i dont find pleasure (at this point in my life) in hearing about innocent civilians (yes, i think there are some) dying or suffering..
do i think its necessary? without a doubt, israel needs to protect itsefl and if the hizbollah and hamas and whoever else keep fighting from civilian areas then there will be civilian deaths.. but i dont rejoice in it - that was my point..

pragmatician:
of course that would be nice, but thats called messianic times.. and i dont think we are there yet.. im talknig about reality. and in reality it is possible to want peace without rejoicing in death and destruction..no?

 
At Wednesday, July 19, 2006 8:45:00 PM, Blogger Sarah Likes Green said...

very well said, powerful words and photographs.

 
At Thursday, July 20, 2006 2:22:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish for peace too. Eventhough I want hezbollah to be gotten rid of somehow, I mainly pray for peace to come soon.

 
At Thursday, July 20, 2006 3:17:00 AM, Blogger Pragmatician said...

that's basically wanting Mashiach, alhtough I expect some people to die when he gets here.

 
At Thursday, July 20, 2006 2:27:00 PM, Blogger Cellar Door said...

great pics. very touching stuff.

Dont forget your towel though.

 
At Thursday, July 20, 2006 4:29:00 PM, Blogger socialworker/frustrated mom said...

Well that is a true statement. The world is filled with abnormal peope.

 
At Friday, July 21, 2006 9:58:00 AM, Blogger A Frum Idealist said...

m00kie - you emexplify the phrase "binfol oyivcha al tismach" or in your case it would be "binfol oyvayich al tismchi".

Harav Hutner was hijacked once by a group of moslem militants, and when he retuned to his yeshiva he told his talmidim that he looked the terrorists in the eyes, and in their eyes he saw the anger and hatred dating back to Sarah's comment to Avrom "kee lo yeerash ben ha'ama hazos".

 
At Saturday, July 22, 2006 1:48:00 PM, Blogger Marion McCready said...

It's scary watching the situation unfold on the news - it's easy to say that all we can do is pray but prayer is a powerful weapon.

 
At Sunday, July 23, 2006 11:17:00 PM, Blogger anonym00kie said...

sarah ,
thanks, I know those pictures had a strong impact on me when I came across them..

malka
I completely agree

pragmatician:
Im not sure what that means really but I have enough to worry about now that Im not going to start worrying about whos going to die when moshiach comes..

cellar door:
another 42 towel comments and you earn yourself a place on my blogroll in the hay..

socialworker/frustrated mom:
tell me about it!

pretty green eyes:
I agree, I also want the terrorists dead – my point was that not everyone on the “other” side is automatically a terrorist.. and there is no need in rejoicing in the suffering or death of those who don’t deserve it – if not for humanitarian reasons, than at least for the reason you mentioned – it creates a vicious cycle of hate. its so easy to get carried away with patriotic zeal and to want to eliminate the “enemy” but when you look at history, unfortunately, these things have far reaching impact and sometimes we cant just look at the immediate results.

God help us all! <- definitely agree!!

a frum idealist:
care to elaborate? (in English maybe? :)

sorlil:
100%, it’s the most powerful weapon.. the others are only symbolic...

 
At Monday, July 24, 2006 11:24:00 AM, Blogger anonym00kie said...

the real me:
i understand, my post wasnt about not wanting war (which i hope no one wants) - sometimes its a necessity, and in this case, i think israel is doing the right and necessary thing. my post was about the excitement and rejoicing some are expressing at the opportunity of going out there and finishing off the 'enemy', or the callousness with which some are treating the civilian casualties. thats what i have a hard time with. it's so easy to categorize whole populations as "the enemy" but more often than not.. they are just poeple trying to live in peace..
hizbola is in lebanon, and if lebanon cant handle them (which they obvioulsy cant), then theres no reason for israel to pay the price and unfortunately many more poeple than deserve it end up suffering - i understand that - but i dont enjoy the sight of a destroyed country or over 300 dead..
and my issue is that it seems that some do..

 
At Tuesday, July 25, 2006 2:03:00 AM, Blogger Jim said...

You are right, wishing such on others is not the way to go, wishing righteous peace on all, is the way to go. Defence is good when necessary and now it is. But it has to be done and THOUGHT humanely, lest the animal return to you. Glad to hear it, tho I understand the pain that causes the other.

 
At Wednesday, July 26, 2006 2:10:00 PM, Blogger yoniQua said...

"Praying for the destruction of our ennemies and hoping for their annihilation seems to me like praying for the symptoms to go away instead of the illness to be cured." - - - well-put.
I have to think about that. Haven't heard it put as such before. I think ur right.
On the other hand, war is so important right now. For so many reasons. It is just unfortunate that that has to be the "natural" way of purification/solution.
Hope u stop by my site.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who links to me?