Monday, June 12, 2006

you're not the boss of me!

I keep getting complaints that my posts are too long! I realize that if i shorten them, more people might read them and/or enjoy them, but I’m not blogging to raise my ratings, I’m not blogging to preach and teach, I’m not blogging so others will like me.

I’m blogging because I have a lot on my mind and this is a good place to articulate and analyze my thinking. I like having firm beliefs and strong convictions, but I also strongly believe in thinking critically. Blogging seems to be a great medium to develop my ideas, while getting feedback from others. In examining and verbalizing my beliefs, I get to plays devil’s advocate, I’m able to question my beleifs and feelings and I get to see myself think from an observer's perspective. Isn’t that the basis of critical thinking?

Now I know what you’re all thinking:
do i check my stats?
how often?
doesn’t that prove that I blog for the readers?
why not just keep a private diary if I’m only writing for myself?

I’ll tell you why. Writing in a public domain motivates me to be more sincere and more analytical about what I say. It pushes me to listen to myself more objectively. The readers are not the goal, they are a tool. I don’t think my desire for feedback necessarily means I'm trying to win a popularity contest, it’s simply an additional way to help me figure myself out, my ideas, and where I stand.

I’m sorry for those of you who don’t appreciate my long posts, I promise that when my mind clears up, the world makes sense and I no longer require lengthy posts to verbalize what goes on in my head – ill write shorter posts! (I would however recommend not holding your breath!)

hmm.. I do have a problem now...
This is a short post, and due to my rebellious nature I’m feelnig very uneasy posting this.
How can I write a short post about how I refuse to write short posts to please those who don’t like my long posts?
hmm…
*thinking*
I guess not posting it would make me feel better about not being a sell-out, but I'd be biting my nose off to spite my face and letting others control my behavior which defeats the purpose of being rebellious! i guess that since it only took me this many words to write out my thoughts, and I didn’t write a short post purposely, I am in essence remaining loyal to my goal of posting for myself, and not for others. sincerely and honestly! right??!

hmm.. now if I could only justify why I’m explaining myself to an audience I claim is simply a means to an end…




20 Comments:

At Monday, June 12, 2006 11:44:00 PM, Blogger FrumGirl said...

Dont listen to them. I think your posts are spectacular and I enjoy reading every word.

Oh and by the way you are a *total* rebel ;-)

Great pic!

 
At Tuesday, June 13, 2006 12:21:00 AM, Blogger ggggg said...

Oy, this post was waaay too long for me to read! LOL

 
At Tuesday, June 13, 2006 12:49:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Meta-Blogging..blogging about blogging
Meta-Posting..posting about posting
short attention spans..(what was the post about?)
Short posts?!
oh yea!,
[points to the moon]

 
At Tuesday, June 13, 2006 12:51:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

m00ks,
i like how you are
establishing boundries..
very neat.

keep on recording :)

 
At Tuesday, June 13, 2006 1:45:00 AM, Blogger Chasidic Bochur said...

Please, please, please! keep on with your long posts!

 
At Tuesday, June 13, 2006 3:10:00 AM, Blogger the sabra said...

dont think i ever read any of your old posts (prob did..prob forgot in my ol age), but this definitely inspired me.

scary how close your thinkin is to um a sabra i know. i can really appreciate it.

 
At Tuesday, June 13, 2006 6:37:00 AM, Blogger Pragmatician said...

The best posts get the least comments
Write 'I hate falafel' and you'll get 40 comments.
Write you love falafel and you'll get even more.


An idea would be to summarize your main points toward the end of an article for the less patient readers.

 
At Tuesday, June 13, 2006 11:04:00 AM, Blogger David_on_the_Lake said...

Screw the comments...
Write with your heart.
Don't worry about those that comment without rwading your post...
Would you rather 60 lols and 40 nice posts?
or 10 intelligent comments.....?

Just keep doing what ur doing..and dont stop being a rebel..


and btw..i meant to tell you this before...your posts are a little too long..



;-)

 
At Tuesday, June 13, 2006 12:10:00 PM, Blogger Lady-Light said...

'm00kie, my HUSBAND complained that my posts are wa-aaaaay too long. I think he is looking for sound bites (he's a newsman)!
As a result I started feeling guilty for writing long posts and actually tried to shorten them. And Prag is right: the silliest posts get the most comments, so I learned (see my post on Dead Sea muddy feet pic).
and hey, what's wrong with blogging so that people will like you? that's why I'M doing it(lol)!

 
At Tuesday, June 13, 2006 12:19:00 PM, Blogger Lady-Light said...

BTW - I never answered your question on my comment to one of your previous posts on 'memory moments'; my Yiddish is SHVACH, but I think 'a gedileh af dein kepaleh'... --means something like 'joy/gladness on your head' (kepaleh='little head';what my grandmother a"h used to say to me when I was a small child.the word I am not sure of is 'gedileh').
and I also forgot to mention in my comment above, that your photo is really cute!! I didn't know you were that young!

 
At Tuesday, June 13, 2006 12:28:00 PM, Blogger the only way i know said...

lol

you certainly prove to be the boss of you

good post

 
At Tuesday, June 13, 2006 2:04:00 PM, Blogger anonym00kie said...

FrumGirl:
dont tell me not to listen to them! i told you, *I* am the boss of me :)

Lakewood Venter:
in THIS case, the problem might be with the reader, and not the blogger :)

gheemaker:
how abou meta-commenting... commenting about comments!
thanks for the encouragement.. keep encouraging (and ill try to add new shiny somethings to keep you interestingly distracted :)

A Chasidic Buchar:
CB! so glad to see you here :) if a smarty like you enjoys my long posts, you can bet ill keep posting them!

the sabra said:
nice to see you.
if youve got a few hours/days to spare, read through my old posts, i'd love to hear your comments!

Pragmatician:
i totally agree, ive also noticed that.
but i like your idea about summarizing my main points, i could start an 'anonymookie blog' CliffsNotes section :)

David:
personally i'd rather fewer good comments and more cash, but i dont think that's an option yet...

Lady-Light:
what's with men and their teeny weeny attention spans?!

the only way i know:
powerful women - UNITE
(anonymously, behind your blogs!)

 
At Tuesday, June 13, 2006 3:05:00 PM, Blogger kasamba said...

You go girl!

Don't you dare change to please anyone!

You are a FABULOUS woman- come on, give us a roar!

 
At Tuesday, June 13, 2006 4:28:00 PM, Blogger FrumGirl said...

LOL, sorry, I hand the reigns over to you!

 
At Wednesday, June 14, 2006 12:35:00 AM, Blogger Jim said...

You took the words right out of my mouth, every one of them, all tangled and yet sensible, insane, and yet genuis, what a scare!

I apologize for not being avail to read more, I know I should, even the long posts, which in your hand, are not long at all, quite the entrancing read, it is just me, my time, my excuses, my busy schedule, my indecision, should I go there and read, or not, or maybe later, or not, why not, well, maybe this or maybe that, who can be sure, and how would I know if I was being truthful with myself?

After all, isn't that why I blog, isn't that what it is all about?

Thanks, I'll be back, wait, maybe I'll go out front and read some more. Yeah, good, thanks Anonymookie.

 
At Wednesday, June 14, 2006 12:44:00 AM, Blogger Jim said...

BTW, lady-light, gedolh is like great or large, so maybe it is like having a great thing on your head/mind, just a thought. metablogging. By the way, I have a long attention span. I just can't make up my mind.

 
At Wednesday, June 14, 2006 4:48:00 AM, Blogger Sarah Likes Green said...

your posts should be however you want them, long, short, you blog for yourself... us viewers are just privileged that you are allowing us along for the ride!

 
At Wednesday, June 14, 2006 9:38:00 AM, Blogger socialworker/frustrated mom said...

I love your blog. You are writing for you so keep your posts as long as you want them to be. Your loyal posters will continue to post comments.

 
At Wednesday, June 14, 2006 9:48:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

omgomg! I think you should shorten your posts so you have more time to talk to mememe...

 
At Thursday, June 15, 2006 1:44:00 PM, Blogger Scraps said...

I like long posts. I don't always write long ones myself, but I like them. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who links to me?